NIPS 2018 Call for Competitions
We invite proposals for the 2018 Neural Information Processing Systems Competition track (NIPS 2018: https://nips.cc/Conferences/2018) in Montréal, Canada. After the success of the first NIPS 2017 Competition track, a second edition of the Competitions track will be held at NIPS 2018. We solicit competition proposals on any topic of interests to the NIPS community. We especially encourage competition proposals from emerging new fields or new application domains related to NIPS. Interdisciplinary topics that could attract a significant cross-section of the community are highly valued.
There will be two kinds of competitions:
- Standard data science driven competitions, where participants will compete to obtain the best score on a machine learning problem of interest to the NIPS community based on a problem and data defined and released by the organizers of the competition.
- Live competitions, which will be held in a science-fair manner at NIPS. Participants will present live demos at NIPS which apply methodology in an application domain defined by the organizers of the Live competition.
There will be a Competition track session on December 7 where competition results can be discussed and presented. Organizers will propose a tentative schedule for the presentation of the competition and its results based on the assigned time slot. The main conference will provide coffee breaks and, if necessary, poster facilities. For any additional questions please contact the competition chairs.
Competition organizers and participants will be invited to contribute with a book chapter for inclusion in the upcoming NIPS 2018 Competition book, within the Springer Series on Challenges in Machine Learning (pending acceptance).
DATA SCIENCE COMPETITION PROPOSAL SUBMISSION
Regular data science driven competition proposals must be submitted via CMT at: https://cmt3.research.microsoft.com/CT2018/ Please carefully follow the Latex template for data science competition proposal.
LIVE COMPETITION PROPOSAL SUBMISSION
Live competition proposals must be submitted via CMT at: https://cmt3.research.microsoft.com/CT2018/ Please carefully follow the available template to apply for the Live competition. An important requirement for the Live competition acceptance is the plan for recruiting participants. Latex template for live competition proposal.
- Competition proposal submission deadline February 16, 2018
- Acceptance notification March 9, 2018
- Competition track December 7, 2018
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS TO COMPETITION PROPOSERS
- In case your proposal contains a “regular data science” track and a “Live” track, please submit both available templates for revision. It may happen that only one of them is accepted.
- Competition organizers should propose a timeline for running the competition to ensure participants to have enough time to contribute with a high quality solution. It is recommended the whole competition to be finished by the end of October 2018.
- Organizers with a competition proposal that requires help or suggestions regarding the competition platform to run the competition can contact the competition chairs for advice.
Sergio Escalera, University of Barcelona, Computer Vision Center, ChaLearn, email@example.com
Ralf Herbrich, Amazon, firstname.lastname@example.org